Blog

Admission Do you want to be a GSCST student?

페이지 정보

작성자 관리자 댓글 0건 조회View 120 작성일 16-07-28 02:24

본문

Do you want to be a GSCST student?

Today, we had met a foreign student attending our graduate school and shared his various stories of studying in Korea. We hope that this interview might help students in variety countries preparing study in Korea.

Shall we then start Wytse(위쯔)’s story in GSCST, with ten questions and answers?

Q1. Please introduce yourself

A1. I’m Wytse Hooch Antink, 23-year-old, from Netherlands. I came to Korea in fall 2014 to pursue graduate studies. When I first arrived in Korea, I knew only a few Korean words and little of Korean culture. I attended language course at Sunmoon University for the first year, and a year later, I started studying NanoScience and Technology at Seoul National University(GSCST).

Q2. How did you get to know the GSCST and why did you apply?

A2. As mentioned above, I didn’t know much about Korea before coming. But I’ve heard that there are three universities which are considered to be amongst the best in Korea. So I tried to find out the graduate degree programs of these universities, and matched my interest. During undergraduate, I studied physics but I was also interested in chemistry. So I found Nanoscience and Technology at GSCST would be ideal for me.

Q3. What is the reason you wanted to get your degree in korea(GSCST) despite the many universities in your home country?

A3. It was mainly to challenge myself. During my undergraduate studies my supervisor once told me that academics are only half of your studies, everything around that such as meeting new people and participating in extracurricular activities are the other half. I thought living in Korea and experiencing a culture so different from what I’m used to would be a good experience. Moreover, later in life it might be difficult to live abroad for an extended amount of time, so when the opportunity presented itself, I just took it.

Q4. How is the admission procedure for foreign students?

A4. I have heard it varies a lot every time. Also, since I applied through the Korean Government Scholarship program (KGSP) it was probably easier for me than most other foreign students. In my case, I sent my documents (letter of recommendation, study plan, letter of motivation etc.) to the Korean embassy in the Netherlands and then they recommended me to the university. I didn’t have to do an interview and I was assigned to a supervising professor that fitted best with my interest.

Q5. Do you think our university has a well-equipped admission selection for foreign students?

A5. Based on only my own experience, I’m a little skeptical about the admission procedure for foreign students. Even though I had decent grades and recommendations, I was really surprised I was accepted without having to do an interview. Also since Korean universities are trying to attract more and more foreign students in recent years, I feel the requirements for foreign students are not as strict as for Korean students.

KakaoTalk_Photo_2016-07-26-18-52-31_40

Q6. Are you satisfied with the student life, your major, dormitory etc,.? What do you do on weekend?

A6. In general, I’m very satisfied. Especially after hearing some horrifying stories from friends at different universities, I feel happiness with my colleagues and professors in GSCST, who are very welcoming. Normally when I think of student life, I think of clubs, festivals, events etc., basically everything you do at university except for studying. I feel like Koreans think of it in exactly the opposite way, especially when doing a graduate or postgraduate degree.

Since the GSCST is the only department in Suwon campus, there doesn’t seem to be the same buzz and activity you have around most other universities. Great for studying and working hard or enjoying a more quiet lifestyle, but a little boring for people who are looking for more than just that. I often come to Seoul in weekends since most of my friends live there. Since it only take 40~60 minutes to go to Seoul it’s very doable.

Q7. Do you have some inconvenience as foreign students?

A7. The biggest hurdle to overcome is the language. In my experience there seems to be a small group of Koreans that speak in English fluently and a majority cannot (or doesn’t want to?) speak in English at all. So it’s up to you to try learn Korean. But since it’s a very hard language to learn (at least for English speakers) you have to consider yourself if the time investment is really worth it. Besides that, there is not much guidance for foreign students. It is normally assumed that you already know everything and know how to do it, so you constantly have to ask for help and rely on others to notify you.

Q8. Do you think that we should recruit more foreign students?

A8. Although I would like to see more foreign students at our university, I don’t think drastically increasing the intake is the right thing to do right now. In general, many foreign students in Korea feel unsatisfied with their study and drop out. Foreign students are often treated very different from Korean students, which can turn out to be positive or negative, or courses that are supposed to be in English are actually in Korean etc. Before significantly increasing the quota of new foreign students, I would like to see the university address some of these issues.

Q9. What should one do to prepare for studying overseas (korea)? What did you find most difficult in your preparation?

A9. Something I didn’t really do myself but would highly recommend everyone else, is to study the language before coming. Also, I would recommend future students to come to Korea with very little expectations and just take things as they come. The people that watch a lot of K-drama and listen to a lot of K-pop before coming are often a little disillusioned upon arrival, whereas people new to Korea seem to enjoy their time a lot more.

Q10. What are your future plans?

A10. So far I have no concrete plans yet besides hopefully graduating. I’m trying to keep as many options open as possible. I might try to work in Korea for a few years if possible, or else try to find a job in Europe.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.